Saturday, January 19, 2008

SS Wholewheat Cranberry Scones

Well, here it is , a tried and tested recipe many times over. I got it from a teatowel that I picked up in Edinburgh, Scotland way back in 1995, with my brother and his 2 sons (then, he has 5 boys now) and my sister and her family. Our mission was to sight the Loch Ness monster, and we actually camped overnight at Loch Lomond. Well, they ( the kids) thought they caught a glimpse of Nessie's shadow in the middle of the night, while their Aunty was snoring away after a hard day of shopping. "Shopping" when I travel is not boutique crawling but more of browsing in village bookshops and handicraft stores, and I would pick gift items that might include interesting notebooks, kitchenware, cards, teaspoons which I will put to use as soon as I get home - I have loads by now - and a must, at least a teatowel or dishcloth from the place ( the way some people buy T-shirts). Lovely linen teatowels from England(or any place in the globe - unfortunately Malaysia has only one type) makes any date in the kitchen a very fulfilling session!

One such teatowel I picked up while trying to hunt down Nessie is one which featured Basic Scones. I tried it and it works, a simple recipe that can be modified with add-ons ( raisins, cranberry or even oats and nuts if you fancy so) and still turn out scrumptious. I now use wholegrain wheatflour ( really grainy and more suitable for bread but it works!) and not atta flour, which is also whole grain but more suitable for capatis. Here goes the recipe...


Basic Scones from a Scottish Tea-Towel (Survivor style)

12 oz wholegrain wheat flour
3 oz olive butter
2 tbs brown or raw sugar
pinch salt
200 ml cold milk (I use skim with ice-cold water)
2 teasp baking powder
3 oz (or more if desired) dried, preservative-free cranberry - chop into bits
1 teaspoon vanilla essence


Method:
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl using wooden spoon
2. Chop olive butter into little cubes and throw into flour mixture and using rub-in method, form "breadcrumbs"
3. Gradually add in vanilla essence (sprinkle) and cold milk or milk and water mix, stirring gently with wooden sppon or spatula to form a loose dough
4. Dust a pastryboard with flour and roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
5. Use a 2" round cookie cutter ( or cap of small Nescafe jar will do) and cut out shape.
6. Arrange on a flat baking tray.

I get 15 pieces from the above measurements. Bake for 12-15 minutes in a hot oven (225 degrees). Smells reallt good when done, and will be golden brown in appearance, and not creamy yellow like regular scones.

Serve with olive butter and strawberry jam, best enjoyed with a steaming cup of Rooibos tea ( no more Earl grey and such). Rooibos (from S.Africa) does not contain caffeine and apparently very rich in antioxidants to knock off "bad vibes" from the sugar and fat.

If placed in an airtight jar, the scones remain fresh for 4-5 days. Well, to be quite honest, I was not able to test if they can last longer because they were all gone in 4 days.

I suppose for variety and to wipe out any bad conscience of having scones, chopped dates ( good brain and blood food), chopped rosella petals, chopped prunes and chopped permissible nuts and grains could also be used instead of regular sultanas and the cranberries. I am using cranberries because it is also rich in antioxidant and also because I have a stock that has a "Best Used By" date of July 2008!

p.s . I will try to remember to post a picture of the scones in the near future.

3 comments:

HCI said...

Azmi, I guess for you since you are not on tamoxifen, better to add ground whole flaxseed meal. I'll try with whole grain (wheatgrass berries yang I beli and whole flaxseed - I will grind them myself).

However kena tunggu dulu, sebab muffin yang buat yesterday ada lagi. Best gak: recipe

Gratted pumpkin 2 and half cup - pressed
Grated young coconut 1 and half cup - pressed
half cup olive oil
3/4 cup fresh milk
salf 1 tsp
organic brown sugar 1 cup
organic ground flaxseed meal 3/4 cup
white flour - 2 cups (takut dense sangat kalau letak wholewheat flour, tapi nak cuba juga nanti)
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla

best di makan panas-panas
juga lawas buang air besar.

HCI said...

azmi, bila nak post resipi idli, thosai dll

Azmi said...

Has,
sorry lama tak peek into this blog. Will post idli and thosai recipes shortly, all trial and error lah, tweaking the original recipes to accomodate brown rice instead of white for the idli, and adding handful of cooked brown rice instead of white for the thosai.
IYour pumpkin muffin sounds yummy. Will try it out as I happen to have a whole pumjpkin now. WIll do it when I have friends for tea so we can enjoy them together.
HEy, I tried the Virgin Coc Oil fermentation method! Actually left the santan standing for 2 whole days and fished out the virgin oil that collects in between the white curdles. Only got half bottle Pati Ayam Brand size of very pure, young and unadulterated oil. Did not even heat it up and poured it over toasted slices of wholewheat baguette rubbed with raw garlic....very the yummy!

For some reason I cannot attach images to this blog..what a bummer for a Recipe Blog to not be able to post pictures!